Search for the City:
Karnataka - One State Many Worlds
Karnataka: The land of the Kannadigas, is a state in South West India. It was created on 1 November 1956, with the passing of the States Reorganisation Act. Originally known as the State of Mysore, it was renamed Karnataka in 1973.
Karnataka is bordered by the Arabian Sea to the west, Goa to the northwest, Maharashtra to the north, Andhra Pradesh to the east, Tamil Nadu to the southeast, and Kerala to the southwest. The state covers an area of 191,976 square kilometres (74,122 sq mi), or 5.83% of the total geographical area of India. It is the eighth largest Indian state by area, the ninth largest by population and comprises 30 districts. Kannada is the official and most widely spoken language.
The two main river systems of the state are Krishna and its tributaries (Bhima, Ghataprabha, Vedavati, Malaprabha, and Tungabhadra) in the north, and the Cauvery and its tributaries (Hemavati, Shimsha, Arkavathi, Lakshmana Thirtha and Kabini) in the south. Both these rivers flow eastward and fall into the Bay of Bengal.
Though several etymologies have been suggested for the name Karnataka, the generally accepted one is that Karnataka is derived from the Kannada words karu and n?du, meaning elevated land. Karu nadu may also be read as Karu (black) and nadu (region), as a reference to the black cotton soil found in the Bayaluseeme region of Karnataka. The British used the word Carnatic (sometimes Karnatak) to describe both sides of peninsular India, south of the Krishna River.
With an antiquity that dates to the paleolithic, Karnataka has also been home to some of the most powerful empires of ancient and medieval India. The philosophers and musical bards patronised by these empires launched socio-religious and literary movements which have endured to the present day. Karnataka has contributed significantly to both forms of Indian classical music, the Carnatic (Karnataka Music) and Hindustani traditions. Writers in the Kannada language have received the most number of Jnanpith awards in India. Bangalore is the capital city of the state and is at the forefront of the rapid economic and technological development that India is experiencied.
Karnataka located in SW India, bordering on the Arabian Sea. It is bordered on the north by the states of Goa and Maharashtra, on the east by Telangana and Andhra Pradesh, on the south by Tamil Nadu and Kerala, and on the west by the Arabian Sea. The capital is Bangalore (Bengaluru).
Most of the area is a plateau (alt. 1,000–3,000 ft/305–915 m) traversed by the upper Kaveri, Tunga, and Bhadra rivers, flowing east. These plus its many other rivers are used for irrigation and hydroelectric power generation. Coffee is the major crop, but cotton, millet, sugarcane, rice, and fodder are also grown. The state has the most valuable sandalwood forests in India. Karnataka produces nearly all of India's chromite and has considerable deposits of iron ore and manganese. The gold mines at Kolar are now closed, but some gold is still mined near Hutti. There is an excellent road and railway system, and the state manufactures steel and steel products, computer components and software, automobiles, and airplanes. At Karwar is a major modern Indian naval base. The population is largely Hindu and speaks Kannada (Kanarese). The linguistic uniformity of the state and its excellent education system contribute to one of India's highest literacy rates. Karnataka is governed by a chief minister and cabinet responsible to a bicameral legislature (with one elected house) and by a governor appointed by the president of India. Karnataka tourist destinations can be classified as historical and archeological. Entire North Karnataka is a showcase of the great heights South India achieved in the field of architecture. Places like Hampi, Halebid, Gulbarga, Badami, Bidar, Bijapur, and Bangalore are known not only in India but world over because of their architectural significance. On the other hand, there are some of the best-managed wildlife sanctuaries in Karnataka. There are many destinations for visiting - Badami, Bandipur National Park, Bangalore, Belgaum, Bidar, Bijapur, Coorg, Gulbarga, Hampi, Hassan, Hospet, Mangalore, Madikeri, Mysore, Nagarhole National Park, Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, Srirangapatnam, Aihole, Nisargadama, Somnathpur etc.
Karnataka is one of the leading states in the field of industrial development both in the private and public sectors and in the area of computer software, which has attracted national and international firms to the city of Bangalore. The state capital was long ago chosen by the central government for the location of a number of industries like Bharat Electronics Ltd, Bharat Earth movers, Hindustan Machine Tools (HMT), Bharat Heavy Electricals (BHEL) etc. Bangalore has become one of the major centers of electronic industry apart from computer software. The state has a number of traditional cottage and small industries like handlooms, silk weaving etc. Karnataka has been the leading state for silk rearing and production of Khadi and village industries. Apart from the numerous factories in engineering, chemicals, electrical, and electronic goods, there are food processing and processing of plantation products like tea, coffee, rubber, cashew etc. About 70% of the people live in the villages and 71% of the total work force is engaged in agriculture. The main crops are rice, ragi, jowar, maize, and pulses besides oilseeds and number of cash crops. Coffee is the principal plantation crop. Cashew, coconut, arecanut, cardamom, chilies, cotton, sugarcane and tobacco are among the other crops.
The region was part of the empire of the Mauryas (c.325–185 BC). From the 3d to the 11th cent. it was ruled by the Gangas and Chalukyas. In 1313 it was conquered by the Delhi Sultanate, but it was soon lost to the Vijayanagar kingdom. The region was the site of the earliest European settlements in India. During the 18th cent. the Carnatic plains became the arena for the struggle between Great Britain and France for supremacy in India. The early European settlers sometimes applied the term Carnatic to all of S India. In the late 18th cent. the Muslim leaders Haidar Ali and his son, Tippu, conquered the Hindu rulers of Karnataka, but were defeated in 1799 by the British, who restored the Hindu dynasty and thereafter provided protection. In 1947 the state of Mysore acceded to the Indian Union. For centuries Kannada-speaking peoples had been fragmented by division into different regions; in the 1950s Mysore was granted additional territories, doubling its area and largely consolidating the linguistic group. In 1973 the state was renamed Karnataka.
People Also Ask About Karnataka Tours & Interesting Things
What are the best places to visit on a Karnataka tour?1. Chikmagalur: Chikmagalur is counted as one of the best places out of all the spots in Karnataka Tour Packages as it offers a plethora of adventure activities. Trekking to Kudremukh and witnessing Hebbe Falls are the most sought thrilling activities by all the tourists who flock here. Besides, it is also the home to the highest peak of Karnataka, Mullayanagiri. Location: Chikmagalur, Karnataka.
2. Nandi Hills: Nandi Hills are renowned for Nandidurg, a heritage fortress enhancing the beauty of the hilltop where you must trek to. While on your expedition to Nandi Hills in your Karnataka packages, you will also come across Tip Sultan’s Summer Retreat where you can witness intricate stone carvings, splendid wall paintings and much more. Location: Nandi Hills, Karnataka.
3. Bangalore: Known for its manicured parks and fun filled nightlife, Bangalore is the magnet to the youngsters of the country. Not only lightening moments, with places like Bangalore Palace the city also becomes a peephole to the bygone era. Besides this, you can indulge in a wall climbing experience, rafting, paintball and much more in the city offered by Us. Location: Bangalore, Karnataka.
4. Gokarna: Edging the magnificent Arabian Sea, Gokarana is a beautiful beach town of Karnataka which is mainly visited by Hindu pilgrims for visiting Mahabaleshwar temple. Besides this temple visit, Karnataka holiday packages also include beach trekking and camping to provide you with an unusual experience. Location: Gokarna, Karnataka.
5. Savandurga: Considered as one of the largest monolith hills in Asia, Savandurga is as high as 1226 meters above sea level. Also, forming the Deccan Plateau, it features peninsular gneiss, granites, basic dykes and laterites giving it an unusual beauty which you must trek to. Don’t worry about the arrangements as you can always book a spot for trekking with Us. Location: Savandurga, Karnataka.
6. Skandagiri: Also renowned by the name Kalavara Durga, Skandagiri is an ancient fortress located on the hilltop sought by trekkers a lot. The beauty of Nandi Hills and Muddenahalli it presents to its onlookers makes it a mandatory place to add in Karnataka trip packages.
Location: Skandagiri, Karnataka.
What are the best things to do on the Karnataka tour?1. Sightseeing: Karnataka is home to many cities enlapping various heritages and ancient monuments as well as natural treasure which you must not miss at any chance. So make sure to visit places like Bangalore, Gokarna, Nandi Hills, Chikmagalur and many more cities.
Price: 270 INR.
2. Trekking: Trekking trails of Karnataka takes you through the western ghats covered with aromatic coffee plantations, refreshing spice gardens and dense woods. Karnataka packages have included so many moderate to difficult trekking options like Nandi Hills, Kumara Parvatha, Uttari Betta and many more which are bound to make your experience worthwhile.
Price: 720 INR.
3. Cycling Tours: We offer you cycles which you can ride to a number of interesting nooks and corners of Karnataka and explore those places at a steady pace. Cycling tours at spots like Nandi Hills takes you close to nature whereas Bangalore tour lets you explore the wonders of the city.
Price: 2,900 INR.
4. Nightlife: Karnataka offers you a multifaceted nightlife where party junkies can hop at various clubs whereas adventure seekers can get their backpack to an isolated place and set up a camp. Some people also like to stroll around various streets and sample local fast food served by hawkers in the late eve.
5. Camping: Karnataka is the house for untarnished natural spots is not news anymore, and that gives rise to a plethora of options for camping around the state. One can go to Gokarna to enjoy camping near the beach, Chikmagalur for a camping experience amidst coffee plantations, and many more places which promise unique and fulfilling experiences.
What are the famous adventure activities to do on the Karnataka tour?1. Trekking: Karnataka houses various hilltops, rugged trekking routes, ruins of the fortresses, spectacular viewpoints and much more. All these beautiful rewards are the reason to definitely add trekking in the Karnataka trip packages.
2. Wildlife Safari: Karnataka is blessed with various wildlife sanctuaries housing exotic flora and fauna which are worth a safari. Depending on the wildlife sanctuary you can get a jeep safari, elephant safari, and various other kinds of options for your exploration of the wild life park.
3. Horse Riding: Mysore offers various options for a great horse riding experience which you must have in your Karnataka packages. You can opt for learning the basics and then ride the horse on your own instead of being led by an instructor.
4. Rock Climbing: Go to Dandeli for experiencing an amazing adventure of rock climbing in the middle of the tropical woods. It is an adrenaline pumping activity which challenges your muscles and strength stored in them.
5. Zipline: You can also opt for zipline in Dandeli, which is another adventurous experience ought to go into Karnataka holiday packages. Here the zipline takes your across the water body offering you some great views of the surrounding.
6. Fishing Trip: Gokarna welcomes you for a refreshing fishing trip where you can catch a great deal of exotic species for your barbeque or dinner.
Which are the best places to stay in Karnataka?1. The Serai Bandipur Stay: Offering you two gleaming outdoor swimming pools and numerous balconies in the villa, The Serai is an amazing place to stay at. It is best suited if you are coming with an entire group of either family or friends as it can be seen as a vacation home.
Location: Bandipur. Price: 13,000 INR.
2. Coffee Grove Resort: Nestled amidst the dense vegetation of Chikmagalur, Coffee Grove Resort is an amazing place which brings you closer to nature. Besides offering amazing cottages to stay, the resort also gives you an abundance of space for nature walks around your stay. Location: Chikmagalur. Price: 3,399 INR.
3. Amegundi Resort: Amegundi Resort is a full package which offers you excellent rooms, multi-cuisine restaurant, vast manicured garden, and various options for recreational activities. Location: Bangalore. Price: 2,850 INR.
4. Windflower Resort: Windflower Resort offers you spacious rooms furnished with royalty. You will find king sized beds covered with white curtains and balconies overlooking the tropical greenery of the surrounding area.
Location: Mysore. Price: 6,809 INR.
5. The Serai Kabini Resort: The Serai in Kabini is a beautiful property offering you a cosy villa with a decent balcony overlooking the open grassland edged by a calm river. Also, not to mention the amazing swimming located right under the patio.
Location: Kabini. Price: 15,499 INR.
Which are the best areas for a food tour in Karnataka?Eateries in Karnataka make it a truly foodie’s paradise. People who visit here enjoy savouring the delightful Kannada cuisine, which is one of India’s oldest. Karnataka’s cuisine includes a wide range of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes that reflect influences from the neighbouring regions and communities. Many eateries specialize in offering the authentic taste of Maddur Vade, Mysore Masala Dosa, and Rava Idli.
Here are the best areas for a food tour in Karnataka:
Which are the best romantic places to visit on a Karnataka tour?1. Bangalore: Bangalore is one of the best places in Karnataka which is frequently flocked by honeymooners where they can stroll in the well manicured parks, visit various magnificent heritages from the past, enjoy clubbing in the night, hopping cafes and rooftop restaurants overlooking the horizons of the city.
2. Mysore: Mysore is the pride of the former dynasties which also leaves the city with numerous heritage buildings worth boasting about. You must visit this city which is the melting pot for various architectural styles like Hindu, Islamic, Gothic and Rajput.
3. Hampi: An ancient village dotted with the ruins of the temples from the bygone era, Hampi is a vibe of romance for those who love to explore the historical villages. The unbelievable carvings on these ruins are sure to freeze your breath for a moment.
4. Gokarna: Although renowned for its pilgrimage sites, Gokarna offers various pristine beaches which are perfect for a romantic vacation. You can stay near the beach and munch on various authentic cuisines.
Which are the best places to visit at night on a Karnataka tour?1. Nandi Hills: Clubs are prototypes for nightlife but places like Nandi Hill are sure to give chills to your spine with the extraordinary views of the surrounding villages at night.
2. VV Puram Street Food: For gastronomics, VV Puram Street Food in Bangalore is the place to hit at night where you can sample various authentic street foods of Bangalore as well as some traditional meals too.
3. Uttari: Visit Uttari in the night with a full plan for camping at the hilltop where you can spend the night gazing at the clear star studded sky and telling tales sitting near the bonfire. However, make sure to wake up on time in the morning so that you do not miss the brilliant sunrise from the horizon for which the spot is famous for.
4. Hard Rock Cafe: If you are a person who believes in eating and drinking indoors, then Hard Rock Cafe is the place for you to go to. You can munch on some excellent American food and electrifying drinks here.
Which are the best areas for a walking tour in Karnataka?Karnataka is well-known for its historical and traditional treasures, fabulous landscapes, tropical forests, murky mountains, rich biodiversity, interesting beaches, religious sites, rich cuisine, and a horde of nature and adventure activities.
If you’re looking to explore this vibrant state on foot, the best areas for a walking tour in Karnataka are:
Which are the different cycling tours in Karnataka?If we talk about Karnataka, this state is blessed with outstanding landscapes and shorelines and much more. A cycling tour in Karnataka is one of the best ways to behold the spectacular scenery created by heritage structures and nature in the state. Once you take on any ride by cycle to the distant and the beautiful territories of Mysore, Bangalore, Coorg etc., you know you are in bliss. Some of the different cycling tours which you can enjoy in Karnataka are
What are the most romantic things to do in Karnataka?1. Stroll in the Lalbagh Botanical Garden: Visit Lalbagh Botanical Garden while on Karnataka tour with your loved one to have a romantic stroll and a picnic in the evening surrounded by exotic flora. Besides that, you must visit the crystal palace situated right inside the garden which transforms the aura with its mere presence.
2. Trek to Hebbe Falls: Nestled amidst the tropical dense vegetation of Karnataka, trekking to Hebbe Falls is one of the most romantic things you can do. The trails will take you through dense tropical vegetation while offering you spectacular views of the surrounding beauty.
3. Visit Mysore Palace: Excellent example of Indo-Saracenic style of architecture of 1912, Mysore Palace has intricate carvings and detailed paintings on its walls which are sure to blow your mind. Also, the surrounding beauty of the place sends a magical romantic vibe which brings it in the list of the romantic things you must do in this state.
4. Hike up to Mullayanagiri Peak: The highest peak in Karnataka, Mullayanagiri Peak is an amazing place to go to together. You both will make a great day out of it and will be rewarded with excellent views of the surrounding beauty.
What are the best places to visit in Karnataka with family? 1. Sri Virupaksha Temple, Hampi: Located at a beautiful location, Sri Virupaksha Temple is an excellent example of 14th century architecture which makes it perfect to add into your Karnataka Tour Packages so kids can get acquainted with the beauty of the incredible India.
2. Bannerghatta Biological Park: Created especially for the prevention of the elephants, Bannerghatta Biological Park was founded in 1970. Kids will enjoy a safari in the park while spotting various exotic wild animals roaming free here.
3. Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace: Example of Indo-Islamic style of architecture, Tipu Sultan’s Summer Palace is decorated with detailed carvings and paintings.
4. St. Philomena’s Cathedral: Founded in 1936, St. Philomena’s Cathedral is a Catholic church renowned by various different names. Besides, it is a magnificent example of Gothic Revival style of architecture which is great to add in the list for some spice.
When is the best time to do the Tadiandamol trek?Tadiandamol trek is one of the most beautiful, though less known treks in Karnataka. Tadiandamol is the highest peak in Coorg/Kodagu district with an elevation of 5740 ft and the trail takes you through the vast expanse of the Shola forests making it an unforgettable experience. The best time to go for Tadiandomal trek is from October to February. However, it’s not wrong to say that all seasons have their own charm for tourists going in Tadiandomal trek. The Tadiandamol trek offers adventurers an opportunity to explore the stunning vegetation, rare mountain birds and pretty butterflies flitting from tree to tree. What is the best time to visit Karnataka? The winter months from October to April is the best time to avail Karnataka Tour Packages as this is the time when the temperature is soothing with little to no rainfall whereas summer months can be humid and monsoon can be extremely wet. Which are the best areas for a spiritual experience in Karnataka? Karnataka, especially, is a home to several destinations boasting beautiful temples that are epitomes of sacredness. Karnataka has its deep roots in spirituality and divinity with some of the most important pilgrimages centres in India. Thousands of people come to Karnataka from all over the world seeking spiritual enlightenment. Embark on a spiritual tour to Karnataka through the magnificent temple and stone built statues.
Here are the best areas for a spiritual experience in Karnataka:
Is Karnataka worth visiting?Yes, Karnataka tour is definitely worth planning with cities like Bangalore, Mysore, Gokarna, Chikmagalur which offer its guests a blend of cuisines, heritage, adventurous activities and much more.
Which are some famous paragliding tours in Karnataka?Karnataka is an ideal spot for all adventure activities, one of which includes paragliding. It is a paradise for every adventure or sports enthusiast. The experience of viewing the spectacular natural landscapes and the enchanting surroundings is breath-taking in Karnataka.
To enjoy paragliding, one can tour the following places in Karnataka:
Is Karnataka safe at night?Although it is pretty safe at night for the Karnataka tour, it is better to be safe than sorry. So make sure that you book your personal cab for night travels and come back to the hotel at decent hours if not needed to stay out for long.
Which are some famous team outing tours in Karnataka?There are many places in Karnataka that provide a mix of adventure and recreation when you’re going to have some fun with your team members. Team outing tours in Karnataka are a great way to develop leadership and enhance team spirit among the colleagues. The entertaining activity is also a great way to get away from your desk and flex your muscles with your teammates for a fun-filled day.
Some famous team outing tours in Karnataka can be enjoyed at:
Which are the best areas for a shopping tour in Karnataka?Having a range of things to display, Karnataka is becoming a shopper's haven. With its sparkling silks, sandalwood and rosewood carvings and exquisite handicrafts, Karnataka excels as the shopper’s paradise. From Karnataka, Shoppers can carry home beads, pendants, carved tables, screens, dinner gongs, boxes, caskets, mythological figures, a host of stationery items, trays, decorative panels made of sandalwood. Inlaid furniture and sandalwood carvings are a favourite with affluent tourists.
The best areas for a shopping tour in Karnataka are:
Which are some famous rafting tours in Karnataka?Rafting is one of the most famous activities to be done in Karnataka. The wonderful waterfalls and the pristine valleys of Karnataka offer an excellent location for such an adventurous activity. They are still pristine and allure everyone with plenty of opportunities to discover them such as hiking, trekking and the most famous being river rafting. Some of the best places for rafting in Karnataka are:
Which are some famous jeep safari tours in Karnataka?There are some beautiful trails in Karnataka blessed natural grandeur that makes it a complete delight to go on a jeep safari tour in Karnataka. Visiting the wildlife parks in Karnataka can be a good idea if you are looking for an exhilarating and unique jeep safari in Karnataka.
Some famous jeep safari tours in Karnataka can be enjoyed at the following places:
Which are some famous wildlife tours in Karnataka?Karnataka has many wildlife sanctuaries and national parks. Karnataka is a real paradise for the wildlife lovers. Karnataka wildlife is a must-see for all visitors who have an interest in choosing a detour from the typical backwater and beaches tours.
Some famous wildlife tours in Karnataka are:
Which are the best heritage places to visit in Karnataka?On the heritage cultural tour to Karnataka, it is an exciting opportunity for tourists to learn more about the art, architecture and craftsmanship of the Hoysalas, Cholas, Chalukyas, etc. From ancient ruins and temples that are spotted in small towns to pulsating forts embracing the sea, a trip to Karnataka reveals one the beauty of age's old medieval town.
Some popular heritage places to visit in Karnataka are as follows:
Which are some famous elephant safari tours in Karnataka?An elephant safari is a unique experience which you can enjoy while exploring wildlife in Karnataka on a vacation. The ride takes tourists around the wildlife reserves on an elephant. An elephant back safari tour into a national park/ wildlife sanctuary is not just a ride on the largest animal on the earth, it's an unforgettable experience where you get to interact with the elephants as well as they get a chance to have a closer meeting with other wild animals.
Some famous elephant safari tours in Karnataka are:
Which are the best areas for rock climbing and rappelling in Karnataka?Karnataka has been blessed with amazing landscapes and ecosystems that attracts tourists from all over the world. Each of these not only serve as tourist places but also adventure hubs in Karnataka. Tourists have a wide range of activities to choose in these destinations. To name a few, river rafting in Dandeli, camping in Coorg, water sports in Mangalore, etc. have become very popular in recent years.
For rock climbing and rappelling in Karnataka, one can go to the following places:
Which are the best waterfalls to visit in Karnataka?The surge of voluminous water thundering from awesome statures in the midst of rich green magnificence characterize the wonder of the waterfalls in Karnataka. A considerable lot of these waterfalls are a hypnotizing and incredible sight throughout the year while a few are seasonal splendours that come alive during the monsoons.
Some of the best waterfalls on Karnataka which you can’t miss to visit are:
Karnataka - One State, Many Worlds